You are here

    • You are here:
    • Home > Landlord and tenant

Landlord and tenant

A total of 33 records were found for Landlord and tenant
Definition: Resources about legal topics related to renting housing.

Service Alberta investigates complaints from Albertans about consumer transactions, including landlord and tenant issues. The first step in the complaint process is to talk with an Information Officer at 780-427-4088 in Edmonton and toll free at 1-877-427-4088 throughout the rest of the province.

Related keywords: Consumer protection and fraud, Landlord and tenant, Non-profit and charity law

Alberta Resources

The Alberta Residential Landlord Associationn brings together owners, operators and managers of residential rental properties. Working together, they promote professionalism, education and equity in all aspects of the Residential Rental Business for the benefit of industry members and tenants.

Related keywords: Landlord and tenant

This booklet, provided by the Alberta Courts, is a resource for landlords and tenants. It includes information about: What should I do first?; Right to Apply to Residential Tenancy Dispute; What are the remedies offered under the RTA?; How do I start my application?; How do I file and serve the notice of application and the supporting affidavit?; What can I do if I have been served with a notice of application?; What happens at the hearing?; What happens after the decision?; Appeals; Legal/Related Information; Civic Offices Telephone Numbers.


Related keywords: Landlord and tenant

The Calgary Residential Rental Association provides a voice for the residential rental industry, and provides professional services and learning opportunities for members, including educational programs and resources.
Related keywords: Landlord and tenant

Information for condominium owners, landlords and tenants about cannabis restrictions in condos, apartments and rental homes.

Related keywords: Drugs and alcohol, Landlord and tenant

CLERC offers legal advice, information, referrals and services to children and youth.The Legal Topics section of their website offers answers to some common questions asked by youth regarding their legal rights.  Lawyers at CLERC provide representation to young people 19 years of age and under who have nowhere else to turn for legal support.

Related keywords: Adoption, Bullying, Child support, Common law relationships, Custody and access, Divorce and separation, Drugs and alcohol, Health issues, Landlord and tenant, Legal services, Marriage, Relationship violence, Sexual assault, Sexual harassment

This tipsheet is created by Alberta Government Services and includes information about: Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service; Who is a tenant? Who is a landlord?; Moving In; Living There; Moving Out; Renting a Condominium; Resources and Referral Information. (PDF - 12 p.)

Related keywords: Landlord and tenant

If a rental property is foreclosed upon, the rights of the tenant and the rights of the landlord will be affected. This booklet from the Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta answers frequently asked questions about the foreclosure process with a focus on the implications for tenants. This 8 page PDF is available for free download.

Related keywords: Bankruptcy and foreclosure, Landlord and tenant, Real estate and home ownership

The Edmonton Landlord and Tenant Advisory Board (LTAB) is a City of Edmonton agency which provides advice and information to landlords and tenants of residential property in Edmonton. They work to address tenancy issues and ensure that both tenants and landlords are aware of their rights and obligations under the Residential Tenancies Act.

The Alberta Residential Tenancies Act allows a council to set up a Landlord and Tenant Advisory Board. A council is defined as a council of a city, a town, a village, a municipal district or a Métis settlement. The functions of a Landlord and Tenant Advisory Board are:
  • to advise landlords and tenants in matters relating to a tenancy;
  • to receive complaints and to attempt to mediate disputes between landlords and tenants (mediation occurs when the Landlord and Tenant Advisory Board brings you and the tenant together to talk about the issues with the assistance of a mediator. You then try to reach an agreement yourselves);
  • to make information available for the purpose of educating and advising landlords and tenants about rental practices, their rights, and available remedies; and
  • to receive complaints concerning conduct that is in breach of the laws governing tenancies and to investigate those complaints.  

In Alberta, there are Landlord and Tenant Advisory Boards in:

A Landlord and Tenant Advisory Board will only serve residents of the particular municipality or area that set it up. If there is not a Board available in an area, residents can call Service Alberta.

Related keywords: Landlord and tenant

The "Landlord and Tenant: What to Do in Court" video provides tips and information on landlord and tenant disputes, what to do in court, and possible decisions a judge may make. Video Transcripts are available in :  English | Spanish | French | Arabic | Hindi | Punjabi | Urdu

Related keywords: Landlord and tenant, Legal process, Self-representation