You are here

    • You are here:
    • Home > Landlord and tenant

Landlord and tenant

A total of 33 records were found for Landlord and tenant
Definition: Resources about legal topics related to renting housing.

Alberta Resources

Reality Choices is from Service Alberta and is a consumer resource for young adults who are moving away from home for the first time. It consists of five modules: Dealing with Credit, You and Your Money, A Roof over Your Head, In the Driver's Seat, Shopping for Satisfaction. The modules are based on a national version of Reality Choices released earlier this year by federal, provincial and territorial consumer affairs ministers, but have been adapted to give Albertans key information about consumer protection laws in Alberta.

Related keywords: Consumer protection and fraud, Driving, Landlord and tenant

This online resource is from the Government of Alberta and includes information about: Renting; Buying; Building/Buying a New Home; Condominiums, Cooperatives and Mobile Homes; Real Estate Agents, Home Inspectors and Appraisers; Legal Resources; Home Insurance; Property Taxes; Utilities; Renovations and Repairs; Housing Supports - Aboriginal Peoples; Housing Supports - Immigrants and Non-Residents; Housing Supports - Low Income; Housing Supports - Persons with Disabilities; Housing Supports - Rural Residents; Housing Supports - Seniors; Housing Supports - Students; and Additional Resources.

Related keywords: Landlord and tenant, Real estate and home ownership

In August 2016, the Residential Tenancies (Safer Spaces for Victims of Domestic Violence) Amendment Act, Termination of Tenancy (Domestic Violence) Regulation, and amendments to the RTA Ministerial Regulation, were proclaimed. These changes to the RTA allow victims of domestic violence to end a tenancy early and without financial penalty. This legislation applies in cases where if the tenancy continues: •  The tenant’s safety is at risk; •  A dependant child’s safety is at risk; or •  A protected adult’s safety is at risk.

Related keywords: Child abuse, Landlord and tenant, Relationship violence, Spousal abuse

The Residential Tenancy Act is provided by the Queen's Printer. (PDF - 55 pages)
Related keywords: Landlord and tenant

The Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) offers landlords and tenants an alternative means of resolving serious disputes outside of court. The Service is designed to be faster, more informal and less expensive than the courts. A tenant or a landlord who has concerns related to an eviction, unpaid rent/utilities, security deposit, damages, repairs or other common disagreements can use the service.

Related keywords: Landlord and tenant, Mediation and alternative dispute resolution

Service Alberta's divisions are committed to delivering high-quality business, financial, information and technology services to government ministries as well as a diverse range of services that touch the lives of Albertans. Divisions include: Consumer Information; Businesses and Charities;  Landlords & Tenants; Registries; Drivers and Vehicles; Land Titles; Vital Statistics; Information and Technology; and Government Buying and Selling. 

Related keywords: Consumer protection and fraud, Landlord and tenant, Provincial and territorial government departments

The Utilities Consumer Advocate has a mandate to educate, advocate and mediate for Alberta's residential, farm, and small business energy consumers. The UCA represents Alberta small consumers by acting as the voice of consumers during regulatory proceedings to ensure the lowest regulated rates consistent with reasonable service, and by providing consumers with the information they need to make informed choices about how to purchase electricity and natural gas, based on their individual circumstances. When consumers have exhausted known avenues of issue resolution, the UCA will investigate and mediate concerns with utility companies.

Related keywords: Advocacy, Consumer protection and fraud, Landlord and tenant, Mediation and alternative dispute resolution

This is a guide on how to buy products and services in Alberta and contains information about your consumer rights. You will need to buy certain items and you will need to use certain services as you settle into as you start your new life in Alberta.

Related keywords: Consumer protection and fraud, Contracts, Credit and debt, Landlord and tenant

This website is meant to make a traditionally complex area of knowledge easier to understand and more accessible. Many Albertan women will benefit from this resource, including those who are new to the English language, have no background in the law, those who cannot afford legal advice and those in remote communities without internet access. Although it is not meant to replace expert advice the resource is a starting place and a guide for women who don’t know where to look.

Related keywords: Criminal law general resources, Custody and access, Family law general resources, Health issues, Landlord and tenant

These "How old do I have to be?" FAQs are provided by the Canadian Legal FAQs, a website of the Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta. They provide answers for youth about age-related issues under various topics: family, criminal, medical and health related, legal and financial, activities (such as driving), school and work.

Related keywords: Adoption, Bullying, Common law relationships, Divorce and separation, Drugs and alcohol, Guardianship and trusteeship, Health issues, Landlord and tenant, Marriage, Wills and estates, Youth criminal justice